To my sweet baby boy on your first birthday,
I cannot believe that 365 days have passed since you officially joined our family. Truly you were making yourself well known before your grand entrance. I'll never forget your kicks, hiccups, and barrel rolls in my belly. But on May 28, 2017 at 12:56 am you made yourself known.
Around 2:10 am, I was rolled out to finally meet you. Daddy held you up to my face and I fell in love instantly. That doesn't happen for every mommy but for me it did.
And for the last 365 days, that love has changed me in so, so many ways that all I can think of is to be thankful.
Thank you for teaching me to be soft. I like to think I'm a tough guy (even though those who know me know that inside I'm a lot mushier than I let on). But you have taught me that it's ok to be soft and a new side of me has grown because you are here.
Thank you for helping me learn to trust myself. Being a mommy is so scary. You've made it so easy on me though. You have reassured me that I'm doing the right thing by responding so sweetly when I care for you.
Thank you for teaching me (some) patience. Not with you, but with me and with life. Mom can have a hard time waiting sometimes. But being pregnant with you taught me that some things are so worth the wait. And being your mom has taught me to give myself some grace too which has been a hard lesson to learn.
Thank you for letting me see your daddy in a whole new way. We really loved each other before you came along. So much so that we wanted to share our love and bring you into the world. Just before you were born I was so nervous that me and Daddy would never get back to where we were before. But where we are now is even better than what that was, all because of you.
Thank you for being you. Your little personality is absolutely amazing. You love to play and have fun. You flash the most sincere, sparkling smile I've ever seen. I thought I knew how to have fun before you came along but that stuff doesn't hold a candle to watching you explore and learn and giggle. You're a lad who knows his mind and isn't afraid to tell us how he feels. I'm going to love watching you become a man.
Most of all.... thank you so much for picking me to be your mom. Thank you for giving me the biggest honor and best job I'll ever have. Thank you for giving me the privilege of witnessing your life. I hope you know that I'm always doing the best I can and my love for you can only continue to grow with each passing day.
Happy first birthday, buddy.
- Apr 23, 2019 How your mom affects how you mom Apr 23, 2019
- Mar 1, 2019 The top struggle I hear from moms Mar 1, 2019
- Feb 22, 2019 I want every woman to know.... Feb 22, 2019
- Dec 2, 2018 You don't have to wait until "someday" to feel better Dec 2, 2018
- Nov 18, 2018 Top Podcast Episodes for Inspo! Nov 18, 2018
- Oct 1, 2018 Reasons to Celebrate! Oct 1, 2018
- Sep 19, 2018 Time Management for Busy Moms Sep 19, 2018
- Aug 29, 2018 Fighting depression and finding purpose as a mom Aug 29, 2018
- Aug 22, 2018 Community over Competition: Why Moms Need One Another Aug 22, 2018
- Aug 8, 2018 How to Support a Loved One Experiencing Pregnancy Loss Aug 8, 2018
- Aug 6, 2018 5 (Maybe) Surprising Things about Me Aug 6, 2018
- July 2018
- May 2018
- Apr 24, 2018 4 Strategies for Surviving the Mommy Judgement Zone Apr 24, 2018
- Apr 18, 2018 Emotionally Processing My C-Section Apr 18, 2018
- Apr 17, 2018 5 Things about Me! Apr 17, 2018
- Apr 13, 2018 The Myth of Multi-tasking Apr 13, 2018
- Apr 9, 2018 Number One Mistake Apr 9, 2018
- Apr 7, 2018 5 Dos for Traveling with Baby Apr 7, 2018
- Mar 15, 2018 5 Reflection Questions to Ask When You're Feeling Overwhelmed Mar 15, 2018
- Mar 13, 2018 Our Marriage Secret Mar 13, 2018
- Mar 3, 2018 The days are long... Mar 3, 2018
- Feb 26, 2018 Empty Cups Feb 26, 2018
- Feb 25, 2018 Making Time Feb 25, 2018
- Feb 24, 2018 Thanks for visiting. Here's a little love note from me to you. Feb 24, 2018