Hi there! Slowly but surely I feel like I'm sharing bits and pieces of my story. Opening up to you and hoping that you'll find parts that inspire you or just make you feel, "Hey, I'm not alone after all". Motherhood can be so isolating sometimes. We find ourselves combing the interwebs searching for a voice that brings us some comfort, some commiseration, and some humor in all of this craziness. I hope that the FYM Blog and Podcast is becoming that place for you and I hope you know that knowing you are out there, somewhere, at some time reading this makes this mom's heart feel so full.
On that note, I'd love to take the time in this post to share with you some fun facts about me to just help you get to know the person who is sending her words and thoughts out into the airwaves for you to receive! So without further adieu, here are 5 things about ME, Karen Liebner, the voice behind Finding Your Momtra.
1. I received my first real life paycheck in 2nd grade. No, my parents weren't using me for child labor! I was actually in a local production of South Pacific. I couldn't have felt cooler if I tried. I was enamored with the grown up actresses and got to play Nintendo in between scenes. We were running several shows a week on weeknights, Saturday nights, and a Sunday matinee. I was a regular old workin' girl and had no time for second grade nonsense. (Still got straight As though ;) )
2. In the 2009-2010 school year, I taught Special Education on the Big Island of Hawaii. As fate would have it, I learned I had been hired just before going on my first date with my husband who I had known for four years already. So we spent every minute of the next 6 months together and prepared for a long year (or more) apart. Days before I left, he was laid off from his job. I showed up at his door with a six pack and an offer, "Move to Hawaii with me." And the rest is kind of history.
3. I love to travel and have visited 11 countries. My most adventurous trips to date are probably when we backpacked in Thailand and Cambodia for our honeymoon or when I camped on the beach in San Blas, Panama on a trip with one of my girlfriends.
4. I hate running.. but I've done quite a bit of it. As a way to impress my then, new boyfriend / now husband, I started going on an evening jog with him several nights a week. He is way faster than me and I never like doing it but it was a great way to bond with him, get some exercise, and be outside. Since then I've completed two half marathons, a ten miler, and a Tough Mudder and I'm doing the Broad Street Run again in a few weeks!
5. I have a Doctorate in Higher Education that I earned in 2016. By far one of the hardest things I've ever done. I wanted to give up so many times. The one thought that helped me stick it out was being able to tell my future children about that accomplishment. My dissertation was a qualitative study of Chinese International students' experiences with academic advising at a U.S. institution. Say that three times fast.
Well, there you have it. A few tidbits about yours truly. I'm enjoying so much showing up for you on IG, Pinterest, your inbox, and iTunes! I hope you continue to tune in. Please send me a note any time if there's something you'd like to read about or if you'd be interested in collaborating with me in someway!